Deadline: 1 November 2019
The French Institute for Research in Africa (IFRA)-Nairobi is seeking applications for the Fieldwork Grants from Masters and PhD students who conduct research in the social sciences and humanities in the East African region.
IFRA aims to foster research in general in the East African region and grants may be given to non-priority project proposals when considered well-thought and relevant. Research about refugees, Islam, museums and nation-building will be paid great attention.
IFRA will prioritize support to the following research themes:
- Workers, Labour, and Employment: This research area targets studies on workers in factories and on plantations in East Africa, focusing on working conditions, workers relations (considering gendered issues), employees/employers relations, organized protest or consent, the growth of a working class culture, entertainment and reading practices, political consciousness, etc.
- Decolonizing Knowledge and Practices in the Social Sciences: this research theme is concerned with the contexts, conditions and actors of the production and use of knowledge in social sciences, philosophy and art in relation to (East) Africa; it will support studies on (East) African thinkers and intellectuals, including artists, to understand activism, epistemological renewal and critical thinking in and about (East) Africa.
- Gender & LGBT in Words and in Practice: this theme concerns gendered identities in African postcolonial politics; it explores the construction and uses of gender in various settings; it notably wishes to focus on frictions between LGBT activists and the state, on places, sites and practices of gathering and identity construction, and on the interplay between global gendered identity and local conceptions and practices.
- Grants beneficiaries will be requested to provide a working paper or an academic article that might be published by IFRA after peer-review. They might also be offered the opportunity to present the results of their work during an IFRA seminar or participate in a conference
- Grants offered are not subject to taxes, and do not include open rights to social security. They are awarded as contributions towards actual research costs and do not include institutional overheads or stipends for applicants.
How to Apply
Interested applicants will fill the Application Form and send to the email address given on the website.
For more information, please visit http://ifra-nairobi.net/3626