The Inception Grant was setup in 2020, soon after the first lockdown, with the prime focus of supporting and mentoring emerging talent in the visual arts. The Grant is open to contemporary artists between the ages of 21-35 years from South Asia. It is more than just a financial aid to artists – awardees have access to the mentors & curators who assist them to develop their art practice through the year.
- Four grants of Rs 100,000 each (including the Tacita Dean Award). A total commitment of Rs 400,000.
- Artist from South Asia ages 21-35 years (as of November 1, 2022). Artists from Bangladesh, Bhutan, India. Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka will be included.
- Practice must fit the contemporary genre. Format and media are not a constraint.
- Illustrations, graphic design, and decorative art are not within the mandate.
- Applicants must be at an early stage of their career, a student, or an emerging artist in the process of launching their career.
- Applicants must be individuals (or part of a collective) applying on their own behalf.
- The internal jury will shortlist 18-20 applicants.
- The shortlisted artist will be required to send the selected physical works for jury review.
- The external jury will be announced by November 2022 who will select 3 artists to receive the grant. This does not include the Tacita Dean Award.
- Grant winners will receive a cash prize and will have access to the mentors for a year.
- They will guide and help in the process for making applications, fine-tune artist statements, and support the proposal process for any residency the awardees wish to apply for.
- The internal jury will select a shortlist that will be presented at the Grant Show 2023.
For more information, visit https://artincept.com/inception-grant/