Deadline: 12 July 2019
Submit your concept notes for InsuResilience Solutions Fund to provide partial grant-funding and expertise for the development of (new) climate risk insurance products for governments, humanitarian organisations, small and medium-sized businesses as well as for private households in developing and emerging countries.
The InsuResilience Solutions Fund is an important contribution of KfW to achieve the target of the international initiative on climate risk insurance ’InsuResilience’. The initiative aims to offer insurance against climate risks to an additional 400 million poor and vulnerable people in developing countries by 2020.
Mandated by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), KfW has set up a new facility to support the development of innovative climate risk insurance products and insurance markets in developing countries – the InsuResilience Solutions Fund.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
Support of the development of adequate, financially sustainable climate risk insurance products in developing and emerging countries to reduce their vulnerability against extreme weather events/ natural catastrophes.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Development of new climate risk insurance products, especially for governments.
- Scale-up of already existing, piloted products, e.g. into other regions or to other groups.
- Investment in technological solutions to improve and scale-up insurance operations, e.g. through applying satellite technology or drones.
Target Markets and Groups
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- Poor and vulnerable households (< 15 USD PPP per day).
- Countries which are eligible to receive official development assistance (ODA) as defined by the OECD/DAC and are vulnerable to extreme weather events.
Terms of Funding
Grants up to 2.5m EUR under the condition that the partnership commits a meaningful own contribution of 50% of the total project costs in kind and/or as financial contribution, including funds from their own resources and co-financing.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
- The ISF will only provide financing to partnerships which consist of at least
- a user, representing the demand-side (e.g. national or regional government bodies, NGOs, local insurers) and
- an implementing partner and potential risk taker, representing the supply-side (e.g. reinsurance company).
- Further parties, e.g. other product implementing partners such as risk modelling agencies, insurers, brokers, can additionally be involved.
Core Eligibility Criteria
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.
- Perils: floods, wind / storm, excess rain / drought, heat waves / cold spells (possibly in combination with other natural hazards).
- Focus on poor and vulnerable households (< USD 15 PPP per day) either directly (through micro-level solutions) or indirectly (through meso- or macro-level solutions).
- The product is ready for market placement and launch within 24 months after funding approval.
- A risk-taking partner who is generally willing to underwrite the risk covered by the developed product is part of the partnership.
- A business plan exists for the development phase containing reliable cost estimations and a time and working plan.
- The partnership provides an own contribution of 50% of the total development costs in the form of a financial contribution, staff or other quantifiable Inputs.
- Relevant experience of implementing partners, reference project exist.
ISF does not fund:
- Early stage development projects e.g. research ideas
- Projects without a focus on the above-mentioned target group
- Likely unsustainable projects, e.g. relying on long-term subsidization
- Financially-unstable and unexperienced product partners
- Projects with a questionable demand
Examples for eligible development costs for funding:
- Development of new risk / hazard models
- Technical product design incl. actuarial risk characteristics
- Data collection and equipment
- Policy terms and pricing
- Legal costs, e.g. for the identification of a suitable implementation structure
- Sales and distribution channel development
- New technologies for product improvement and scale up
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their application form via email at the address given on the website.
For more, visit https://www.insuresilience-solutions-fund.org/en/apply-to-isf
(Ad) Are you fed up of receiving non-relevant, non-useful and pointless funding alerts and updates in your email? Not anymore! With fundsforNGOs Premium, you can configure what type of funding updates you want to receive, select specific countries and areas of work and receive information only about them. Save your time by getting the most relevant and useful updates in your email. Learn more.