Deadline: 11 October 2019
The Seventh Generation Fund for Indigenous Peoples is accepting proposals for ‘Land Defenders and Water Protectors’ to support Native led actions against incursions, unwanted development, and extractive industries as well as threats to sacred sites in Indigenous communities, lands and territories.
Land Defenders and Water Protectors grants will be available for Indigenous Peoples’ community based organizations doing community education, frontline advocacy and peaceful direct actions responding to the desecration of Mother Earth.
$500 to $10,000
- Peaceful direct actions and frontline organizing
- Sacred site protection
- Environmental education and issue advocacy
- Indigenous appropriate and traditional technologies
- Leadership and Decision-making: A minimum of 80% Indigenous Board of Directors and also an Indigenous Executive Director.
- Nonprofit Status: 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Status, Fiscal Sponsorship, or other tax-exempt status (if operating within the United States).
- The Seventh Generation Fund does not support: Individuals, Non-Native organizations, religious missionizing efforts, purchase of vehicles, heavy equipment, capital campaigns, or scholarship funds.
Grantmaking Guiding Principles
A successful proposal:
- Emerges from a Native community. Its purpose, design and implementation strategy originates from the Indigenous Peoples it serves.
- Engenders leadership and decision-making that are vested directly in the community that will be impacted.
- Promotes the Native language, traditional knowledge, and cultural lifeways of the community.
- Builds capacity that impacts the largest number of people and broadest segments of their society including Indigenous women and youth leadership.
- Upholds equity – Does not perpetuate racism, sexism, or oppression of humanity, nor violates the Rights of Mother Earth.
How to Apply
Required application materials, directions, and Proposal Coversheet must be submitted either via postal or email at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit http://www.7genfund.org/land-defenders-and-water-protectors