The Bread & Roses Community Fund is inviting proposals for its Opportunity Fund. The Fund makes grants to groups that:
- Meet all basic eligibility requirements
- Are facing an emerging issue, project, or situation that is not part of the organization’s ongoing work
- Have not received an Opportunity Fund grant within the past 12 months
These activities are frequently in response to rapidly emerging issues and might include: demonstrations and rallies, coalition efforts, conferences, or forums.
- Grants range from $50 to $1,000.
Note: who have received grants from the Opportunity Fund in the past year may not reapply in the following grant cycle.
- Organizations must meet all of the following basic requirements to be eligible for a grant from Bread & Roses:
- Must be located in Philadelphia, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, or Camden counties
- Must be designated by the IRS as a 501(c)3 organization or have a fiscal sponsor that is designated by the IRS as a 501(c)3 organization or have documentation of a pending 501(c)3 application with the IRS
- Must be current with all progress reports from previously awarded Bread & Roses grants
- Must submit a complete application prior to the deadline (because of the volume of applications they receive, they cannot make exceptions)
- Must be using community organizing to create sustainable social change
- Bread & Roses makes grants to organizations that have a long-term vision for social justice and engage in strategies that promote sustainable social change, including:
- A focus on community organizing and activism (not social service, self-help, or educational programs)
- A clear understanding of the root causes of the problem or issue that they are working to resolve
- A vision that emphasizes changing the systems that create or perpetuate the problem or issue being addressed
- A strategy that includes building a local base for taking collective action by the community affected by the problem or issue and results in concrete outcomes at the neighborhood, city, state or national level
- Leadership that is primarily composed of people most affected by the problem or issue that is being addressed
- Bread & Roses does not make grants for:
- Direct service work/social services, self-help/empowerment programs, educational programs, or advocacy
- Capital campaigns or building projects
- Scholarships, fellowships, or grants to individuals (except through the Lax Scholarship Fund)
For more information, visit https://breadrosesfund.org/grants-scholarships/opportunity-fund/