Deadline: 31 October 2018
The Sumitomo Foundation is seeking applications for its Research Projects with an aim to enhance mutual understanding between Asian countries and Japan through promoting research projects in the field of the social sciences or humanities that are related to Japan.
- The following projects are not eligible:
- Research projects for profit making or those conceivably conducive to profit making.
- Contracted research projects for a third party.
- Research projects which have been already substantially completed.
- This grant is not a scholarship, a fellowship or a grant for publication of research results alone.
Areas of Research
Any research project, mainly in the field of social sciences or humanities that is related to Japan.
- Budget Total: ¥50 million.
- Grant Amount for Each Project: Maximum ¥2.0 million (¥0.3- ¥1.4 million in fiscal 2017)
- Number of Projects: Approximately 80
- Grant Period: One year (April 2019 through March 2020), but can be extended by another one year maximum if required with specific reason
The applicant must:
- be a researcher of Asian (non Japanese) nationality (For fiscal 2018, priority is given to East and Southeast Asian nationals.), be living outside Japan during the grant period.
- (Please do not apply if applicant intend to stay in Japan for more than six months during the grant period as a student, visiting professor, etc.), and take personal responsibilities for conducting the proposed research project.
How to Apply
Applicants can download the application form via given website.
Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
For more information, please visit Research Projects.