The fund provides financial support to events that are community-led, deliver positive social and economic outcomes, and enrich the communities.
- Are accessible for the community – free or low-cost entry.
- Encourage participation and have widespread appeal within the community.
- Support a varied community event portfolio.
- Highlight events of cultural and historical significance.
- Engage local volunteers and help develop Tauranga and Western Bay of Plenty’s volunteer workforce.
- Secure a range of income streams through other funding sources.
- Attract visitation and deliver economic benefits.
- The maximum grant is $50,000 +GST for events in Tauranga and $15,000 +GST for events in Western Bay of Plenty. The majority of grants issued are in the $10-$12,000 range.
- don’t champion the event funding values or priorities
- are run by individuals. They will only grant funding to a legal entity/organisation.
- are commercial ventures seeking significant profit
- take place prior to an event funding decision being made
- are primarily political, protests or for the purpose of religious persuasion
- are primarily for the purpose of fundraising or may transfer funding to another party
- are private functions, meetings, conventions etc. Private is defined as any event where the general public aren’t able to attend or purchase tickets
- are markets, expos, stand-alone installations or exhibitions, or for repayment of debt
- are for research, feasibility or evaluation of events outside of the event itself
- support business as usual operations, general salaries, rents or other overhead costs except as a proportion of the total event costs
- support repairs/maintenance and capex projects outside of an event
- request more than 50 percent of the event’s total event expenses
- have outstanding debt with Tauranga City Council
- are already funded through another Tauranga City Council event fund
- have breached previous funding agreements with Tauranga City Council, including post-event reporting requirements and where no commitment has been made to rectify this
- occur outside of Tauranga City boundaries with the exception of TECT All Terrain Park and McLaren Falls and applications. to the Tauranga Western Bay Community Event Fund.
For more information, visit https://www.tauranga.govt.nz/community/events/event-funding-framework/tauranga-western-bay-community-event-fund