Deadline: 8 July 2019
The Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs’ (OES) Office of Environmental Quality and Transboundary Issues at the U.S. Department of State (DOS), has announced the Notice of Funding Opportunity (“NOFO”) for activities under the “Gauging Economic Impact of Air Pollution in Asia” project.
The purpose of the “Gauging Economic Impact of Air Pollution in Asia” project is to assist countries and cities in south and central Asia to mitigate air pollution. By making available local data on sector-specific economic impacts of air pollution, and highlighting the economic benefits of reducing pollution in those sectors, policymakers and stakeholders will be able to more effectively push for action to address pollution, and design targeted policies to reduce pollution from specific sectors.
Countries that may be eligible for funding under this award include: Bangladesh, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Nepal, and Tajikistan. They expect applicants/proposals to identify one country and sector of focus for the study and specify any potential regional synergies that exist or may be established from this project. Applicants are encouraged to consider countries eligible for funding under this award to participate in workshops or implementation activities to bolster regional cooperation and synergies.
- The goal of the “Gauging Economic Impact of Air Pollution in Asia” project is to equip policymakers and stakeholders in south and central Asia more specific data on the array of negative impacts from air pollution so that they can better advocate for new or strengthened air quality management policies, and design those policies to maximize positive, economic impacts.
- The project will fund a study to conduct a baseline analysis of data on the economic impacts of air pollution for one country, and to identify target sectors where additional economic data would be helpful to drive new air quality management policies and provide specific, policy-relevant data to key stakeholders. The results of the project will be disseminated and provide tangible policy recommendations to mitigate sector-specific pollution. Potential target sectors include, for example, agriculture, oil and gas, health, tourism, and general foreign investment/trade.
- Award Ceiling: $345,679
- Award Floor: $345,679
- Improved understanding of the economic impacts of air pollution by select country’s policymakers and stakeholders.
- Increased collaboration and synergies among stakeholders in selected country and regionally to streamline efforts to tackle air pollution issues.
- Improved institutional capacity of selected country’s government in air quality monitoring and understanding data to inform air quality management policies.
- Development, adoption, and/or implementation of focused air quality management policies as a result of this project.
- Fine particulate matter and ozone precursor (NOx, VOCs, and CO) emissions reduced or avoided, if applicable.
Eligibility is limited to U.S. non-profit/nongovernmental organizations subject to section 501 (c) (3) of the U.S. tax code, foreign non-profit organizations, educational institutions, and public international organizations.
How to Apply
Applicants must download the application package via given website.
For more information, please visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=315820