Deadline: 31 March 2020
The purpose of the grant is to increase the capacity of Kenyan business owners with disabilities to do business with the United States and improve the business environment for disabled people. The project implementers will identify people with disabilities who own small- and medium-sized enterprises and train them in business skills, provide formal networking and mentorship programs, and hold a business plan competition.
The project must include connections to U.S. businesses, either with U.S. companies operating in Kenya, American businesspeople and mentors, U.S. business organizations or guilds, and/or virtual interactions with U.S. businesses. Project implementers are encouraged to use American Corners in Nairobi, Mombasa, Nakuru and Lamu where applicable.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
Key Program Components
Proposals should include the following key program components.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Training: Participants will receive a minimum of 60 hours of instruction in concepts that will directly help their businesses grow and succeed. Instructors must be recognized experts in their field and have minimum three years prior teaching experience. Instruction must be in-person but does need to take place in a classroom. Program implementers must measure effectiveness through knowledge checks. By the end of the training, all participants should be able to put together a solid, realistic business plan.
- Mentorship program: All participants will be matched with mentors from U.S.-owned or U.S.-based companies or with mentors who are disabled and are in executive positions in large companies in Kenya. The mentorship component will include at a minimum bimonthly contact (in-person, by video conferencing, or phone) and the program implementers will provide structured guidelines on the mentor-mentee relationship. All mentors will be encouraged to meet in-person with their mentees if feasible.
- Business plan competition: At the culmination of the program, each participant should have a business plan that is based on the business they own and incorporates concepts they learned from the training and mentorship programs. Participants will compete in a business plan competition. The competition will include a business pitch for a panel of judges and a fair-style expo open to the public. Judges must be regional or international angel investors.
- Promote U.S.-Kenyan Shared Economic Interests: Promote U.S. trade and investment, improve economic governance and the enabling business environment, achieve inclusive, market-driven, environmentally sustainable economic growth.
- Reinforce U.S.-Kenyan Shared Values: Reinforce U.S.-Kenyan shared values through funding proposals that explore and expand on historical and contemporary connections between U.S. and Kenyan institutions and groups.
- Support Kenya’s Ability to Advance Sustainable Development: Strengthen health and human capacity, enable livelihoods, reduce suffering, and strengthen resilience.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- Total available funding: $50,000 (pending availability of funds)
- Length of performance period: Twelve months or less
following types of programs are not eligible for funding:
- Programs relating to partisan political activity
- Charitable or development activities
- Construction programs
- Programs that support specific religious activities
- Fund-raising campaigns
- Lobbying for specific legislation or programs
- Scientific research
- Programs intended primarily for the growth or institutional development of the organization;
- Programs that duplicate existing programs.
Participants and Audiences
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
The target audience should be at least 300 people with disabilities who own businesses, with a majority of participants having businesses operating in Northern or Coastal Kenya.
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.
Northern and Coastal Kenya
- Public Affairs Section encourages applications from U.S. and Kenyan:
- Registered not-for-profit organizations, including think tanks and civil society/non-governmental organizations with programming experience
- Non-profit or governmental educational institutions
- For-profit or commercial entities are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
- The proposal clearly addresses the goals and objectives of this funding opportunity
- All documents are in English
- All budgets are in U.S. dollars
- All pages are numbered
- All Microsoft Word documents are single-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, with a minimum of 1-inch margins.
All applications must be submitted by email at the address given on the website.
For more information, visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=324634
(Ad) Are you fed up of receiving non-relevant, non-useful and pointless funding alerts and updates in your email? Not anymore! With fundsforNGOs Premium, you can configure what type of funding updates you want to receive, select specific countries and areas of work and receive information only about them. Save your time by getting the most relevant and useful updates in your email. Learn more.