The Kurt Weill Foundation for Music is pleased to launch a call for applications for the Professional Performance.
Funding may be requested by professional opera companies, theater companies, dance companies, orchestras, ensembles, and other concert groups for performances of musical works by Kurt Weill and/or Marc Blitzstein.
Priority is given to funding the additional costs specific to the particular work of Weill’s or Blitzstein’s or presentation thereof. As such, please specify the nature of the funding request within the narrative and budget sections of the grant application.
After applications have been reviewed by Foundation staff, additional support materials or information may be requested for consideration by the independent review panel, which will make recommendations to the Board of Trustees. The Independent Review Panel comprises experts from the musical, theatrical, and scholarly communities; panelists’ identities are confidential to assure maximum impartiality. Grants will be awarded on an objective and non-discriminatory basis.
When grant applications are evaluated, the independent review panel considers the following criteria:
- Quality of the project and potential for excellence.
- Relevance of the project to the furtherance of The Kurt Weill Foundation’s goals and current priorities.
- Evidence of the applicant’s prior record of achievement, commitment, and ability to carry out the project successfully.
- The diversity of the personnel involved with the project, both on stage and off.
- Potential reach of the project (Factors: size of audience or readership, ability to engage new constituents, media involvement, introduction of emerging performers and audiences to Weill’s and Blitzstein’s lesser-known works, etc.)
- Potential impact of a stage or concert presentation of a work by Kurt Weill or Marc Blitzstein to advance the understanding and appreciation of their oeuvres in the performing arts field, or scholarship on a topic not previously explored.
- Capacity to complete the project.
- The applicant’s demonstrable commitment to implementing and enforcing policies that ensure diversity, equity, and inclusion in its practices.
All proposals must include:
- A completed Application Form (in English).
- A detailed description of the project (in English).
- A mission statement and summary of activities and past achievements of the applicant.
- Proof of not-for-profit standing.
- An itemized budget showing entire project expenses, income, and projected sources of funding. Applicants must notify the Foundation if other grants are awarded.
- Work sample: a video or audio recording of a past performance, not to exceed 20 minutes in length, demonstrating the artistic merit of the applicant’s previous performances.
- Select reviews of recent presentations by the applicant.
- Documentation of the applicant’s commitment to implementing and enforcing policies that ensure diversity, equity, and inclusion in its practices.
For more information, visit https://www.kwf.org/grants-program-collaborative-initiatives/professional-performance/