Deadline: 31 January 2020
The GEF SGP provides grants to community-based groups (CBOs) and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to address local problems related to the GEF areas of concern in a way that is suitable with each local’s circumstance.
The programme operates on the premise that people will be empowered to protect their environment when they are properly organized to take action, have a measure of control over access to the natural resource base, equipped with the necessary information and knowledge, and aware that their social and economic well-being is dependent on sound long-term resource management. However, the GEF SGP is more than simply a fund that provides small grants to improve the local environment. By raising public awareness, building partnerships and promoting policy dialogue, the GEF SGP seeks to help create a more supportive and favorable environment within countries for achieving sustainable development and addressing global environmental issues.
Principal Objectives of GEF SGP
- Demonstrate community-level strategies and technologies that could reduce threats to the global environment if they are replicated over time;
- Draw lessons from community-level experience, and support the spread of successful community-level strategies and innovations among CBOs and NGOs, host governments, development aid agencies, the GEF, and other related associations/offices;
- Build partnerships and networks of local stakeholders to support and strengthen community, CBOs, and NGOs capacity to address environmental problems and promote sustainable development.
Integrated management of domestic solid waste, including waste separation at source, collection, transportation and proper disposal with aims to fight environmental pollution caused by domestic solid waste and contribute to reduce waste, particularly plastic entering the ocean.
Grant amount: max 60.000 USD.
Promote national and local impact of SGP projects through:
- Testing community innovative ideas/strategies/approaches and replicating/upgrading successful demonstration
- Knowledge management (documentation and dissemination of lessons learned)
- Policy advocacy – local and national levels: Introducing successful projects for certain particular case studies in policy-making and adjustment.
- Capacity development for CSOs and its networks and communities to be able to play a key role in the development process of advocacy work.
- Disseminating lessons and propagandas for SGP as an effective and proper sponsor for CSOs in Vietnam.
- Coordinating with governmental projects (national and local development plan in biodiversity, climate change, land degradation and desertification and international waters) and with international organizations, emphasizing on GEF’s medium-scaled and large-scaled projects as well as UNDP Vietnam’s ones.
Focal Geographical Areas
Binh Duong, Binh Dinh, Binh Thuan.
- Local NGOs and CBOs.
- Suitable with GEF SGP’s strategic focal areas (i) focal and geographic focus (ii) objectives (capacity development, demonstration or replication strategies/community technique and knowledge management (lessons learned documentation/dissemination)
- Reasonable, creative, science-based, feasible and community approach
- Sustainability, mainstreaming, upscaling/replication
- Organization’s capability (i) Human resource and management experience (ii) Capacity and technical experience of the organization/consulting experts (iii) The involvement of communities and local stakeholders (iv) Linkages/mainstreaming with related projects/programs.
- Budget (i) Compatible with GEF SGP guidelines (ii) Reasonable. (iii) Cofinanncing (eps in cash from government budget)
For more information, visit https://bit.ly/2QGa02V