Waitaki District Council is now inviting applications for its Heritage Fund to encourage heritage place owners to retain, preserve, conserve and maintain historic buildings and sites.
- After a first-year allocation of $50,000, $100,000 per year has been allocated to the fund under the Long-Term Plan.
What can you apply for?
- The grants are for works that enhance the historic character of heritage buildings or sites. Generally, preference will be given to (in no particular order):
- Restoring or reconstructing missing original features (such as parapets).
- Painting in heritage colours of a previously painted structure.
- Paint removal where the paint is inappropriate or damaging to a structure.
- Essential repairs, stabilisation, or core structural works (eg repairs and maintenance, for example, re-roofing, damp proofing, gutter replacement).
- Upgrades to code/regulation standards to enable contemporary use of heritage places
- Specific “like with like” material replacement/maintenance projects that protect the integrity of heritage buildings.
- Preparing of heritage conservation plans or condition reports.
- Emergency works to protect heritage fabric.
- Earthquake strengthening works.
- Retrospective works will be considered at the discretion of the committee.
- Emergency applications may be made at any time.
- Additions and extensions to heritage buildings.
- New signage.
- Works on Council or Crown-owned properties.
- Full or partial demolition of a heritage building; and
- New buildings within heritage areas/heritage precincts.
- You can apply for assistance if you are the owner of a heritage building in the Waitaki District or own land upon which an historic site is located. That is:
- Buildings/structures/sites listed as ‘historic places’ on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rārangi Kōrero (‘The List’) and/or scheduled as contributing buildings/heritage buildings/ structures/sites in the Heritage Appendix of the Waitaki District Plan.
- Places listed as Wāhi Tūpuna, Wāhi Tapu or Wāhi Tapu areas by Heritage New Zealand.
- Contributing buildings/structures in a Historic Area in The List and/or within a Heritage Precinct of the Waitaki District Plan.
- Places likely to meet the criteria for being included on The List or the Waitaki District Plan’s heritage appendix.
For more information, visit https://www.waitaki.govt.nz/District/Community-Grants-and-Awards/Waitaki-Heritage-Fund