Deadline: 23 March 2020
The New England Biolabs Foundation is seeking Letters of Inquiry (LOIs) from community-based nonprofit organizations.
The New England Biolabs Foundation is a private foundation whose mission is to foster community-based conservation of landscapes and seascapes and the biocultural diversity found in these places.
The Foundation supports grassroots organizations and other NGOs in selected countries of Central America, Andean South America, and West Africa. In addition, in support of their local roots, they also provide grants for community-based conservation and cultural projects in coastal communities on the North Shore of Massachusetts.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
The Foundation supports communities in the stewardship of their landscapes and seascapes and the associated bio-cultural diversity, ecosystem services, and food-ways. They welcome inquiries from community-based nonprofit organizations working toward:
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Conserving biological diversity (terrestrial and marine).
- Sustaining cultural diversity (linguistic diversity, as well as traditional knowledge systems and practices).
- Maintaining ecosystem services (water, soil, and carbon sequestration).
- Supporting food sovereignty and economic vitality of local communities.
- In the marine environment, sustaining healthy reefs and fisheries.
In addition, in coastal communities along the North Shore of Massachusetts, the Foundation supports projects in the area of artistic expression, with an emphasis on those focusing on the environment and social change.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
The maximum international grant size is now $12,000, with past grants ranging from $3,000 to $9,000. The maximum size for local grants is now $8,000, with past grants ranging from $2,500 to $5,000.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
The Foundation is actively funding projects in the following regions and target landscapes:
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.
- In Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras:
- Coastal landscapes/seascapes within the Gulf of Honduras and the Bay Islands.
- In Nicaragua:
- Southern Pacific coast of Nicaragua, including Lake Nicaragua.
- Northern Caribbean coast within Nicaragua’s North Atlantic Autonomous Region.
Andean South America
- Sacred Valley of the Incas, extending from Ollantaytambo to Pisac in the Southern Andes of Peru.
- In Bolivia, that portion of the Altiplano extending from Lake Titicaca to Lake Poopó, and beyond to Sucre.
- Andes-Amazon Basin of Ecuador and Peru (with specific landscapes within that region to be identified in 2019).
- In Ghana:
- Weto Landscape/Togo Plateau in the southern part of the Togo-Atakora Mountains in Ghana.
- Black Volta Basin in the Upper West region of Ghana.
- In Cameroon:
- Highland landscapes of Southwest Cameroon.
- While the foundation’s emphasis is on working internationally, they do fund a limited number of local projects in coastal communities along the North Shore of Massachusetts.
The Foundation supports community-based projects that seek to meet their objectives in a variety of ways. Among the kinds of approaches they support are those concerned with:
(Ad) Are you fed up of receiving non-relevant, non-useful and pointless funding alerts and updates in your email? Not anymore! With fundsforNGOs Premium, you can configure what type of funding updates you want to receive, select specific countries and areas of work and receive information only about them. Save your time by getting the most relevant and useful updates in your email. Learn more.
- Creating and/or ensuring effective management and governance of protected areas, including Marine Protected Areas (MPAs), in particular where governance is led by communities (e.g., Indigenous Peoples’ and Community-Conserved Areas and Territories [ICCAs]).
- Ecological restoration involving native species. Priority will be given to those efforts linked to existing conservation areas already valued by communities (for example, a project to re-establish a forested buffer zone near a sacred grove).
- Providing enhanced and alternative local livelihoods, including sustainable agriculture and value-added products to support local economies.
- Environmental education that draws on indigenous and local traditions and language to address present-day problems.
- Use of the arts and other innovative methods to convey social and environmental messages.
- Fostering civic engagement of communities through creative facilitation and other methods of stakeholder involvement (such as, public meetings and community-mapping exercises).
How to Apply
To submit an LOI, please log on and apply using the Log On button available on the given website.
(Ad) How will you feel when you view grants for all countries around the world? fundsforNGOs Premium has a World Map of Grants that offers open and live grants for all the countries in one single view. Click on any country, and you can view the latest grants updated in real-time. Learn more.
For more information, visit http://www.nebf.org/how-to-apply/application-deadlines/