The United States Embassy in Cameroon is seeking applications for its “Democracy and Human Rights Fund (DHRF)” with an aim to strengthen democratic institutions, improve governance, and promote respect for human rights in Cameroon.
The DHRF provides assistance to Cameroonian organizations that seek to implement short-term, highly targeted activities designed to show measurable results.
- Typical DHRF grants are approximately USD 10,000 (or about 4.5 million francs FCFA);
- They may not exceed USD 25,000 (or about 11.25 million francs FCFA).
Project Categories and Acceptable Activities and Items
- Human Rights: Advances protection of international human rights by supporting governmental and nongovernmental organizations efforts to protect, promote, and enforce human rights. Projects under this category could include but are not limited to:
- Civic Participation: Strengthens the legal, regulatory, institutional, and information environment which protects and enables the growth in associational life and the development of independent and sustainable civil society organizations. Builds the capacity of civil society organizations to act as agents for reform and support their participation in democratic decision-making through engaging in service delivery, and advocating for issues which become part of the public agenda and are reflected in public policies. Encourages the strengthening of a civic culture which supports democratic institutions and processes, active participation in political and civic life, and the civic virtues of tolerance, pluralism, compromise, trust, and respect for individual rights, including gender equality. Projects under this category could include but are not limited to:
- Civil Society Legal and Regulatory Frameworks;
- Civil Society Capacity for Democratic Processes;
- Citizen Participation and Oversight; and
- Civic Education and Democratic Culture.
Basic Project Requirements
The U.S. Embassy will consider funding only those projects that:
- are initiated by Cameroonian organizations (excluding the executive branch of the Cameroonian Government);
- promote political pluralism and respect for human and civil rights;
- benefit a large number of people;
- include activities, expenditures and timelines that are consistent, reasonable, and within the ability of the organization to implement;
- can be completed within one year, without requiring further DHRF assistance; and
- respect environmental norms.
How to Apply
- Complete the application form and attached additional pages if necessary. Interested applicants can download the application form via given website.
- It can also be requested by mail or in person through the DHRF Office.
- Type or write clearly and answer every question as best as possible.
- All applications must include a specific budget with cost estimates and a timeline.
- The project’s representative must sign the application
- Send the original completed application to the U.S. Embassy at the address given on the website.
Eligible Country: Cameroon
For more information, visit Democracy and Human Rights Fund.