Deadline: 10 July 2019
Global Affairs Canada has launched a call for concept notes as part of its five-year pilot initiative aimed at Canadian small and medium organizations (SMOs). This initiative seeks to engage Canadian SMOs in international assistance efforts in areas consistent with Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
Under this call, the proposed project must contribute to the achievement of the objectives of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy, which seeks to reduce poverty and vulnerability and build a more peaceful, inclusive and prosperous world. The policy recognizes that promoting gender equality and empowering women and girls is the most effective approach to achieving this goal.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
Proposed projects must align with at least one of the action areas outlined in Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
- Gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls
- Growth that works for everyone
- Environment and climate action
- Inclusive governance
- Peace and security
Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy states that “no less than 95 percent of Canada’s bilateral international development assistance initiatives will target or integrate gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.” Priority will be given to concept notes that show strong potential to meet the requirement of targeting or fully integrating gender equality and women’s and girls’ empowerment.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
The total amount of funding available under this call for concept notes is up to $36 million over five years. Global Affairs Canada may fund any number of proposals or none, up to the maximum funding available.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- Organization is legally incorporated in Canada and can provide proof of legal status (e.g., a letter of incorporation) along with a Canada Revenue Agency business number.
- Organization is providing a Canadian SMO attestation form signed by organization’s chief financial officer, financial director or president indicating that organization is a Canadian SMO according to the following definition for this call for concept notes:
- Definition of small or medium organization (SMO): the consolidated revenue in organization’s financial statements is equal to or less than $10 million (this limitation does not apply to educational institutions) and organization does not have annual overseas expenditures exceeding $2 million in development assistance (i.e. projects administered with the promotion of the economic development and welfare of developing countries as their main objective (regardless of the funding source)).
- If organization is an educational institution, they are not required to have consolidated revenues equal to or less than $10 million, but they are still required to submit a signed Canadian SMO attestation form. However, in order to be considered a SMO, an educational institution cannot have annual overseas expenditures in development assistance higher than $2 million.
- Organization is providing two separate financial statements for the most recent fiscal years. Audited statements are preferred. If this is not possible, statements must be signed by a member of the board of directors or delegate or by the owners. As financial statements usually provide comparative information from the previous year, these statements will be used to do a three-year trend analysis.
- Organization is submitting only one application under this call (either on their own or with other Canadian SMOs).
- If organization submits more than one application under this call, either on their own or as a co-signatory to a funding agreement, the fund will only consider the one with the earliest submission time stamp.
- Organization has not been approved for funding under the 2017 Call for Preliminary Proposals of the Development Impact Window of the Canadian Small and Medium Organizations for Impact and Innovation initiative.
Required Project Parameters
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
- Value: Organization is requesting Global Affairs Canada funding of at least $500,000 and no more than $2,000,000.
- Duration: Proposed project will last at least three years but no more than five years.
- Alignment with Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy: Proposed project is aligned with at least one of the actions areas within Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
- Geographic alignment: Proposed project would take place in one or more official development assistance-eligible countries. Approximately 75% of the funding from this call will be allocated to projects that include activities taking place in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Cost share: Organization will provide at least 5% of the total eligible direct project costs over the life of the project in cash and/or in-kind in accordance with Global Affairs Canada’s Policy on Cost-Sharing for Grant and Non-Repayable Contribution Agreements. Organization (and any other Canadian SMO involved in signing the agreement with Global Affairs Canada) must attest to meeting this requirement in the Canadian SMO attestation form. These forms must be signed by the organization’s chief financial officer, financial director or president and submitted as part of their application package.
- Not-for-profit project: Proposed project would not generate a profit for organization or any other implementing organization in the project.
- Language of concept note: Application package documents are complete and presented in either English or French.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their complete application package electronically at the address given on the website.
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.
For more information, please visit https://international.gc.ca/world-monde/funding-financement/smo_call-2019-appel_pmo.aspx?lang=eng