The Standards and Trade Development Facility (STDF) is seeking applications for its Project Preparation Grants (PPG) to support technically sound, innovative and sustainable projects.
The Standards and Trade Development Facility (STDF) provides Project Preparation Grants (PPGs) to help developing countries overcome constraints faced in the articulation of their SPS needs into project proposals that could be funded by the STDF or other donors.
These grants can involve the application of SPS-related capacity evaluation tools, preparation of feasibility studies and/or formulation of project proposals to address specific SPS capacity building needs linked to trade.
Please note that PPGs can be used for any of the following purposes (or a combination thereof):
- Application of an SPS-related capacity evaluation tool (e.g., the FAO/WHO’s National Food Control System Assessment Tool, the WOAH’s PVS Tool, the IPPC’s PCE Tool) or other prioritization tools (e.g., the STDF’s Prioritizing SPS Investments for Market Access Tool P-IMA).
- Preparation of feasibility studies that precede project development to assess the potential impact and economic viability of proposals in terms of their expected costs and benefits.
- Preparation of project proposals for consideration by the STDF or other donors. It is not necessary to describe the project expected results or specific activities.
- If the PPG is approved, the STDF Secretariat will work with the applicant to develop a suitable and detailed budget (up to US$50,000) for the PPG, based on the activities envisaged. This may include the following expenses:
- International consultant fees
- Other technical expertise needed
- Travel and DSA (daily subsistence allowance – based on official UN rates) for international / national expert(s) / consultant(s)
- Stakeholder meetings or workshops
- Minor equipment items (which may include IT, laboratory or other equipment items necessary to achieve the specific output of the PPG, but which should not exceed 10% of the total STDF contribution)
- Other general operating expenses (to be paid on the basis of actual expenses incurred, upon presentation of receipts and invoices).
- The STDF does not provide funding for:
- Buildings, vehicles and major equipment items, with the exception of information technology, laboratory and minor equipment items that are necessary to achieve the specific output of the PPG.
- Laboratories. The STDF will only consider funding essential items of equipment needed to upgrade already existing laboratory capacity to achieve the specific output of the PPG. PPG applications that include the purchase of laboratory equipment must explain how this has been considered in relation to current laboratory capacity in the country or region and the presence of trained staff to operate new equipment.
- Basic scientific research.
- Regular staff salaries.
The following organizations are eligible to apply for STDF funding:
- Public sector entities (including regional or international bodies) with responsibility for SPS measures or policy, either in their own right or in cooperation with the private sector. The STDF encourages implementation of projects and activities through public private partnerships.
- Private sector entities, either in their own right or in cooperation with the public sector. Examples of private sector entities include legally registered farmers’ organizations, trade and industry associations, etc.
- Non-profit non-governmental organizations (NGOs) with expertise in the SPS area and with an organization in the relevant beneficiary country or countries, in co-operation with the public and/or private sector.
- STDF partners.
For more information, visit Standards and Trade Development Facility.